simple me

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Socrates once said: “An unexamined life is not worth the living.”

Company: DBS Bank Ltd
Address: Consumer banking 6 Shenton Way, DBS Building Tower 1 S068809
Department: Security & Analytics
Period: 2/3/09 - 18/4/09

Phew! What an exhausting week at work! I had to create weekly and daily reports, update balances and edit pivot tables.. looking at numbers the whole day just bores me out. My supervisors are very busy people. They always work overtime, and have numerous deadlines to meet hence they often leave me to figure things out on my own.

After commencing on my internship, I often wonder how I am going to find work-life balance in future. Reaching home around 8 plus everyday, leaves me little time for anything else since I have to sleep early and wake up at 6am to travel to work the next day. I have less time for my family and friends not to mention time to pursue my personal interests or watch my HK dramas.

This internship made me realise the importance of setting clear priorities. There is limited time, and having clear priorities help me eliminate the unnecessary activities that keep me away from the things that matter to me. Since spending time with my family& friends is my one of my priorities in life, I realise that I may have to forgo my HK dramas for example, if I wish to spend more meaningful time with them. (Bye Ling fung..u r not tat impt to me)

I am reflecting on life and currently, my 3 most important priorities in life are:

1) family & friends
2) professional/ individual growth
3) health

I Know that achieving work-life balance is almost impossible in the beginning of my career at an entry-level position. I may have to work overtime most of the days to prove my value to the company. However, I believe over time, with proper time management and higher status, I would be able to have more flexibility in my work schedule , and hopefully achieve the work-life balance I am yearning for :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home